The monument is dedicated to preacher, botanist, folk healer, priest, monk Jurgis Ambrozijus Pabrėža (1771-1849). The monument testifies gratitude of Kretinga citizens to the great Franciscan priest for his solace and helping hand to the misery people, for his love to mother language and land. Monument was built near the main entrance to the churchyard of Kretinga Church in 1993. Sculptor - Algirdas Bosas, architect - Saulius Manomaitis.
Many citizens of Kretinga considers father Ambrozijus as saint, visit his tomband pray for intercession from deseases and curses. Brothers Franciscans built a chapel on his grave.