Grotto was built by rural loner Kazimieras Navirauskas in 1921 appreciating the fact that he alive and healthy returned from the First World War front. Beside long been famous for its magical healing power source he set stone grotto and built a wooden chapel. Pastor of Kartena brought Blessed Mary statue from Loudes (France) and Christ with the cross sculpture from Švėkšna churchyard.
In Soviet times, grotto was abandoned. In revival times was updated. Chapel was restored by Kartena community in 2005.